The Sea Kayak Level 3 Explorer Award aims to enable participants to:
- Join a group of peers on a day-long trip.
- Plan a trip incorporating weather, navigation and tidal information.
- Assist a suitably qualified sea kayaker in group management and rescues.
- Have the skills to safely manage my kayak on coastal trips in L3 conditions.
- Launch and land in small surf.
- Self rescue unassisted from a capsize in deep water.
- Understand the effects on the sea kayak of wind, wave, tide, and coastal features.
- Summon outside rescue assistance.
- Understand the paddlers effect on the environment and wildlife.
- Can identify the next step involved in the Canoeing Ireland Sea Kayak Skills Awards.