The Level 1 Kayak Instructor Qualification requires that a candidate attend a registered Level 1 Kayak Instructor training programme and a half day assessment.
There are two types of training programmes available:
- A 16-hour Level 1 Kayak Instructor training course plus a log of 30 hours practical experience.
- A 32-hour, 8 module training courses. Trainee Instructors who have completed the 32-hour training course have no requirement to log additional experience.
The training course is delivered in as practical a manner as possible, giving the participant’s lots of practical hands-on experiences to develop and explore learning opportunities on the course. The course is usually a mix of indoor base sessions and outdoor and on the water sessions.
Where possible each course is tailored to the group of participants on the course, all courses cover similar knowledge areas that can be broken down as follows.
- Personal Skill and technical Skill knowledge
- Logistics and session planning
- Safety and rescues and risk assessments
- Professional Practise
Please consult the following documents prior to applying for an assessment to ensure you have complete the relevant training and certification, and for details on the format of the assessment –