The Level 3 Sea Kayak Instructor Qualification aims to enable participants to:
- Become qualified to instruct intermediate sea kayaking skills and lead coastal trips in smooth seas (Douglas Sea Scale) and force 3 winds with groups of up to 6 students.
- Become qualified to instruct basic kayaking skills and lead kayaking journeys on flat water with groups of up to 8 students.
- Train and assess participants for Canoeing Ireland Level 1 and 2 kayak skills award and the Level 3 sea kayak skills award.
- Mentor Level 1 and 2 Kayak Instructor trainees and Level 3 Sea Kayak Instructor trainees.
- Understand and instruct basic sea kayaking navigation and run Essential Coastal Navigation Courses.
The Level 3 Sea Kayak Instructor Qualification requires that a candidate attend a registered four-day Level 3 Sea Instructor training course (or a programme of similar duration), and a two-day Assessment.
The training course is a mixed of indoor and outdoor practical and theory session, exploring various aspects of paddle sports instruction at the intermediate level. While all courses are tailored to the participant group there are a number of knowledges that are cover on the course. These are as follows:
- Personal skills and technical knowledge
- Logistics and planning
- Coaching and teaching
- Leadership and guiding
- Mentorship and professional practice
Please consult the following documents prior to applying for an assessment to ensure you have complete the relevant training and certification, and for details on the format of the assessment –