The Sit-on-Top River Skills Award aims to enable participants to
Participants must successfully explain and demonstrate the following techniques and skills at a level higher than that required for the Sit-on-Top Flat Water Skills Award:
• Capsize Drill
• Self-rescue following a capsize drill in deep water, including righting the Sit-on-Top and completing a water based remount without assistance.
• Assisted Rescue and Self Rescue. Using a throw bag to rescue a swimmer, both as rescuer and swimmer.
• Knowledge of Safety Rules
• An understanding of the use of Offensive & Defensive Swimming
• An understanding of Eddies, Standing Waves, V Waves, Stoppers, and Easy River Routes i.e. the main flow down a Grade II rapid
• An understanding of good control (i.e. responding to various signals and commands)