Tipperary Sports Partnership & Canoeing Ireland
Clonmel Hub Coordinator/Canoeing officer
(5 days a week, one year contract)
Canoeing Ireland and Tipperary Sports Partnership are seeking a Sports Hub Co-ordinator / Canoeing Project Officer. This post will be integral to the development and implementation of a comprehensive plan to promote, attract and develop sustainable usage of the new Outdoor Community Sports Hub and Canoeing on the River Suir in Tipperary and nationally.
The ideal candidate will have canoeing and/or participation background, with knowledge of sport in Ireland and at least 3 years’ relevant experience.
Contract Type: 1 Year full time
Location: Tipperary Sports Partnership Offices, Ballingarrane House, Cahir Road, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary,
Interested applicants should send a CV outlining your qualifications and experience, a letter outlining your suitability and match to the requirements, together with the names and contact details of two people (Relatives or friends will not be accepted) who can comment on your suitability for this position (including your current or most recent employer). Referees will not be contacted without your permission.
Applicants should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Canoeing Ireland, Irish Sport HQ, National Sports Campus, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.
Closing date: Applications must be received no later than 5pm on Friday 9th December 2016
Canoeing Ireland is an equal opportunities employer and all applications will be treated in strictest confidence.
Successful candidates will only be offered the position subject to satisfactory Garda Vetting and completion of Safeguarding requirements.
Interviews: Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place on Friday 16th December 2016
The Hub Co-ordinator / Canoeing Officer will be based in Clonmel. He/she will report to the Sports Co-ordinator Tipperary Sports Partnership and CEO, Canoeing Ireland and work with the relevant organisations and individuals to develop, co-ordinate and implement a comprehensive plan to promote, attract and develop sustainable usage of the new Outdoor Community Sports Hub and Canoeing both locally on the River Suir and nationally. The individual will work 3 days a week developing the Community Sports Hub/River Suir Blueway and 2 days working for Canoeing Ireland.
The individual will also work closely with Tipperary County Council, local Canoe clubs, schools, community based organisations to promote the new facility/amenity as a venue for sustainable community sport and physical activity.
Overall Purpose of Position:
To assist Tipperary Sports Partnership & Canoeing Ireland in achieving its core objectives of:
- Ensuring delivery of canoeing Ireland programmes and targets
- Developing partnership and co-ordination between the relevant local statutory and voluntary bodies and maximizing their involvement in the development of canoeing in the county
- Support the existing canoeing clubs on the River Suir in their club development plans through governance, club structure and programmes
- Deliver canoeing programmes to key target communities as agreed by Tipperary Sports Partnership and Canoeing Ireland including; schools, youth groups, clubs and organisations.
- To support appropriate structure to develop a social enterprise initiative around canoeing in order to sustain canoeing activity and identify sustainable income stream to support the social enterprise.
- Increase participation and the opportunities for participation in canoeing on the River Suir Blueway and nationally.
- Promote the Community Sports Hub as a venue for sustainable physical activity.
Reporting to Tipperary Sports Partnership Sports Co-ordinator on an ongoing basis and CEO Canoeing Ireland on a periodic or as required basis, the Hub Co-ordinator / Canoeing Project Officer will have responsibility for the implementation of current and future development programmes of the Tipperary Sports Partnership and Canoeing Ireland including inter alia:-
The post is a one year contract, subject to satisfactory completion of a 3 month probationary period. The Hub Co-ordinator / Canoeing Project Officer will work 37 hours a week. Some flexibility of hours will be required for evening and/or weekend work to accommodate the service needs, for which time off in lieu can be taken. The Salary is on the Grade IV local authority scale. Travelling expenses will be reimbursed where appropriate from the office base in Clonmel.
Interested applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter by email to email@example.com or by post to CEO, Canoeing Ireland, Irish Sport HQ, National Sports Campus, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.
Closing date for receipt of Application: – Friday, 9th December 2016. Interviews will be held at Tipperary County Council Offices in Clonmel on Friday 16th December 2016
Tipperary Sports Partnership & Canoeing Ireland
Hub Co-ordinator / Canoeing Project Officer
Candidates shall be in a state of health which would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Qualifications & Experience
- Canoeing Ireland Level 3 Instructorship at minimum.
- Relevant degree in Sports Development, Leisure Management, Health & Fitness & Leisure Studies or equivalent is desirable.
- Three years experience working in the sports development / community sector.
- An understanding of the community and voluntary sector and sports and recreation environment and of motivating those sectors with lower participation characteristics to become involved.
- Experience in the delivery of Canoeing programmes and activities.
- Ability to consult, communicate and network appropriately and effectively with all sectors of the community.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate work and write reports.
- Strong administrative and organisational skills.
- Ability to co-ordinate and facilitate events.
- Ability to deliver a range of canoeing programmes and activities.
- Ability to produce and access information efficiently and accurately.
- Excellent communications, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to advise, inform, motivate and support individuals and organisations.
- Ability to prepare, monitor and manage budgets.
- Ability to produce good quality publicity material.
- Good I.T. skills.
Attitude and Motivation
- A constructive, positive and progressive attitude to working as part of a team and an ability to develop partnerships with the wider community.
- A self-motivated approach to work.
- An awareness of the role and importance of both coordinated and inter-agency responses to local and national canoeing needs.
- A full clean driving license and use of personal transport for work is required.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Ability to transport equipment as required.
- Full Clean Mini Bus License is desirable.